Participating in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program allows us to offer free tax help to individuals or households that make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
Through our United Way of the Bay Area, “Earn It, Keep It, Save It” volunteer tax program, we can help you file your simple tax returns for free if you meet the financial requirements. Volunteers have passed the IRS-approved testing to become certified volunteer tax preparers. The software used by the volunteers preparing the returns is the same used by IRS tax preparers. The whole process is electronic and once the tax return is complete, it is sent directly to the IRS for processing.
To take advantage of this valuable community service, members and non-members must make an appointment. The required information needed to prepare your tax return is as follows:
- Photo Identification (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
- Social Security card or ITIN for each family member
- W2 forms for all jobs held in 2016
- All 1099, 1098, or other tax forms
- Savings and checking accounts and routing numbers for direct deposit
- Last year's tax return
- Your household's health coverage information (1095-A if bought through Covered CA)
Check this page as tax season approaches to get more information on how to make an appointment.